Making Decisions About Home Care

Treatment Options For Pelvic Floor Prolapse

by Mae Ferguson

If you suffer from urinary incontinence, pain during intercourse, or feelings like your female parts are placing too much pressure on your vagina, you may suffer from something called pelvic floor prolapse. This condition affects women of all ages, but is more common with older women and those that have given birth to babies. Your gynecologist can diagnose this condition and offer options for treating it. Here are three things to understand about it.

What Causes This?

Pelvic floor prolapse is a term that describes a condition when a female's internal parts begin dropping out of place. This can include the uterus, bladder, bowels, and rectum. This occurs as the muscles in this region begin wearing out. When this happens, they are no longer able to hold these organs where they are supposed to be. This creates internal problems for a woman and can lead to the symptoms described above.

What Can You Do To Treat It Naturally?

There are very few ways to treat this issue naturally. One option is to perform Kegel exercises. These are designed to strengthen the exact muscles that wear out and lead to pelvic floor prolapses. If you try this and do not experience any results, you may want to talk to your doctor about other options.

What Can Doctors Do For It?

Doctors can do a variety of different things to treat this problem. One of these is to insert a pessary, which is a small device that helps hold the organs in place. Unfortunately, this does not always work, especially if numerous organs have dropped or if the muscles are really weak.

If you have a severe pelvic floor prolapse, you may need to have surgery to fix the problem. There are a number of ways doctors can treat this problem through surgical methods. One way is to build up the tissue in the area so it holds the organs in place. Doctors can also attach the organs to nearby bones to hold them in place. Once the surgery is complete, you should see a huge difference in the symptoms you have been experiencing from this condition.

If you are having these types of problems, you should look for a solution by visiting a gynecologist, like one at Western Branch Center for Women. Your gynecologist can examine you and run tests to find out what is going on, and this will help you find a way to treat the problem.